anal-ytics

Search This Blog

Friday, July 7, 2017

External drive oddity / questions.

Long story short, I've temporarily been lent a SSD to try out for a bit. I don't think it's working as well as it should.

  1. The drive is a WD My Passport 512GB SSD. I've hooked it up to the PS4, formatted, and moved a couple of games over there. I don't really see a performance increase. The main game I was testing the SSD for, Final Fantasy XIV, didn't seem like the SSD did anything at all for it. 39 seconds to load into a populated hub with the SSD. Same amount of time for the 2 TB HDD I have in the system internally. That seems wrong. YouTube videos show a large performance gain in load times on this game. I'm not seeing them. Is this drive just terrible?

  2. When I turn the PS4 on, it thinks the drive is not connected. There's no switch I hit on it or anything like that when I turned the PS4 off. Each time I turn the PS4 on, I have to unplug the USB cable and then connect it again to register the drive. Is that normal for externals on the PS4? Is there a way to work around it?

Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My PSN account was hacked 20 mins ago. What to do?

Bought my PS4 10 days ago. I was playing GT Sport 20 mins ago and my game was suddenly interrupted, paused and I got back to PS4 OS introd...