anal-ytics

Search This Blog

Friday, July 21, 2017

I'm Terrible at Modern Games and I Just Finished DOOM

I grew up with Nintendo (NES, N64, and then a Wii that I only really used for casual stuff like Wii Sports and Rockband). Over the last couple of years, my only gaming has been on the 3DS with the exception of one playthrough of Bioshock Infinite on PC. Super Mario 64 is my favorite game of all time, and I tend to enjoy platformers a lot in general.

In February, I bought a PS4 and have since purchased too many games and only finished a few. A couple weeks ago, I finished my first PS4 game--Uncharted 4--in about 19 hours. I wasn't too disappointed, seeing as how I was still familiarizing myself with the dual analog stick controls, but I was a little surprised that it took me about 30% longer than the average playtime, especially for such a linear game. Even more recently, I finished the Crash Bandicoot 1 remaster. I'm not sure how much time I sank into it, but I finished in 4 or 5 (lengthy) sessions. Not bad, considering the reputation it has for being a difficult game.

Then we come to DOOM. I started the campaign probably two and a half months ago and have been playing on and off since. Over the last week, I've really made an effort to finish off the last 3/4 of the game, and it has been agonizing. I bet I've attempted some checkpoints close to 40 or 50 times. I finally made my way through the last level, defeated the last boss, and checked my file's playtime. 32 HOURS. 3 times the average campaign playtime.

Now, there are many areas where I can see how my play has improved over the course of the game. I'm able to aim much better now especially on the move. For large parts of the game, I neglected to upgrade my weapons. It took me a long time to get used to the game's pace, especially after playing Uncharted 4, which lets you (and even forces you to) find abundant cover during most of the shooting segments. The biggest area that I neglected is equipment. I didn't start using grenades heavily until the end of the game ,and those are a big help.

Anyway, there's not much of a point to this post. I just wanted to share the fact that I finally got through this hellish game, albeit at a much slower pace than most. I'm about halfway through Ratchet and Clank and think I'm gonna finish that before diving back into anything more difficult.

Does anyone have any similar stories? Any games with a steep learning curve that you sunk tons of hours into? Any recommendations for my next game? I'm also about 1/3 of the way through Horizon and own, but haven't started, Fallout 4 and The Last of Us.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My PSN account was hacked 20 mins ago. What to do?

Bought my PS4 10 days ago. I was playing GT Sport 20 mins ago and my game was suddenly interrupted, paused and I got back to PS4 OS introd...