anal-ytics

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Saving Game States on PS4; Oh my! [user experience annoyance]

/rant incoming

So, I'm currently playing Final Fantasy XII: TZA and enjoying it.

With one exception: The saving-your-game experience!

This is bad! I guess Square Enix has not written that themselves, but used a subsystem provided by Sony. I do not remember how it was back on the PS2, probably it wasn't pretty back then. But come on, it's 2017!

So when you save in FF12: TZA it goes something like this:

  1. approach save crystal and press X
  2. select SAVE, press X
  3. game changes into the Save-Your-Game interface: shown is a list of previous game saves and an empty slot on top, which is selected
  4. press X to select empty slot
  5. "Do you want to save?" No/Yes (No is selected)
  6. press -> to select Yes and press X
  7. system is writing and showing progress bar
  8. "Saving complete." (OK) press X
  9. again the list with previous save games is shown with a new slot on top, which is selected, and the freshly saved game on 2nd place
  10. press O (cancel) to leave and return to the game screen

In my opinion, steps 5 & 6 should only apply if you're overwriting a used slot. And steps 8-10 are completely unnecessary!

Also, and that is my personal taste, why am I dumped into this black & white user interface? This should all be perfectly viable in the standard game screen with the typical FF typed blue dialog boxes that are used throughout the game.

That last point may not be possible because it is an external subsystem called by the game. Again, I assume it is provided by Sony. I've seen this type of save/load system used since PS3. Maybe I'm wrong here.

So, that is my opinion on the matter, could be that I'm overreacting. It's the one point that annoys me on an otherwise perfectly enjoyable experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My PSN account was hacked 20 mins ago. What to do?

Bought my PS4 10 days ago. I was playing GT Sport 20 mins ago and my game was suddenly interrupted, paused and I got back to PS4 OS introd...