anal-ytics

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Deep Color adds input lag?

Hey guys,

this topic is a bit complicated so please bear with me. I own a 2014 model Samsung full hd TV and the regular ps4 and I've always wondered whether my TV supports Deep Color or not. Mainly because I don't know if there are any negative effects when turning Deep Color on mistakenly, like setting the console to full RGB and the TV to limited, which results in wrong colors and crushed blacks. About the Deep Color setting itself I know that when on automatic, the PS4 color depth output is bumped up from 8-bit (True Color) to 10 or 12-bit Deep Color. But to use it the TV needs to have the correct panel, which should be 10 bit at least, in order to support deep color. But since I couldn't find anything about deep color or the color depth of my set, I just tried to see what exactly happens when turning deep color on or off. And after testing it with several games, I made an interesting discovery.

I noticed that when Deep Color is on automatic/turned on, the colors become more saturated and there are less visible jagged edges in games, it’s as if Deep Color turns up the anti-aliasing but the bad part is the input lag also increases. Deep Color turned off makes the colors look a bit less saturated with the overall picture getting a bit brighter and jaggies getting more visible but there is less input lag.

But after all I wasn't sure if I'm just imagining things. So I searched the internet and after searching for a while, I finally found confirmation here on reddit. Someone made the same observation already in 2014 and summed it up nicely in one sentence in this post.

"Deep color output" causing slight input lag, but better colors & slightly smoother images.

The thing is, I don't know whether the increase in input lag only happens with TV's that don't support deep color. Then I found here that the Xbox One has the same setting, the only difference is that you can choose which color depth you want separately (8, 10 or 12-bit) and if you set it on 10 or 12-bit while your set only supports 8-bit, it can add a slight amount of lag to your game. Just like it does at my set when turning Deep Color on. So this should mean that my 2014 TV most likely doesn't support it, but things that don’t seem right to me are that even the PS3 back then had a deep color setting and Sony did even ship it with deep color turned on since launch back in 2006 and only later released an update allowing you to turn deep color off. Or why, for example, is deep color set to automatic by default on the PS4?



No comments:

Post a Comment

My PSN account was hacked 20 mins ago. What to do?

Bought my PS4 10 days ago. I was playing GT Sport 20 mins ago and my game was suddenly interrupted, paused and I got back to PS4 OS introd...