anal-ytics

Search This Blog

Friday, September 15, 2017

I may be in the minority, but I am completely satisfied with my Scuf Impact purchase

TL;DR: Did a ton of research on Scuf Impact, it was mostly negative. Got one anyways and couldn't be more satisfied.

I just wanted to provide my feedback here for the people who are researching whether or not to spend the money on a Scuf. I did a considerable amount of research, and went back and forth on whether or not I should grab one. I read all the horror stories, read through all the poor reviews here, and asked questions to people who had positive and negative opinions on it. I even researched alternative controllers that are considerably less expensive but claim to do the same or similar things.

I have had my impact for a little over a month, and it has worked flawlessly. I have used it for both Overwatch and Destiny 2, and it has definitely helped me to be more mobile. I play notably better in Overwatch with DPS heroes, and am loving the speed and mobility I am getting in Destiny 2.

I didn't know how much I loved it until last night when I decided to play with my standard PS4 controller because my Scuf was downstairs on my monitor setup. I was going to just pop in Destiny 2 for a few minutes to do some inventory management, and that turned into an hour and a half of shooting monsters. I immediately noticed that the size felt awkward (which is how I felt first getting used to the Impact), and that I relied HEAVILY on the paddles, especially X and Square (jump and reload in this case).

Lastly, here are the specifics that I was looking for when I was researching but couldn't find outside of several very annoying YouTube videos. For context, I got the Impact with the maxed package that comes with all the addons.

  • It was immediate to get used to the paddles in Overwatch. Plug-and-play.
  • It took about 5-7 hours to get used to the size/shape of the controller. A little tough to get used to the hand placement and since I have medium sized hands it felt pretty different from the standard PS4 controller.
  • It took about 1-2 hours to get used to Destiny 2 PvP to get the hang of it. A lot of accidental paddle presses, especially in PVP.
  • I exclusively use jump and reload via the paddles (mapped to outside right and outside left, respectively), but sometimes use Triangle and O on the face depending on the scenario.
  • I'm glad I went with adjustable hair triggers with stops, I didnt notice the difference until I went back to the standard PS4 controller.
  • 4 paddles aren't necessary, but the Impact's shape is.
  • Standard build and shipping took 8 days to my door. The website didn't update past processing, but I got an email alert when it went to a new stage of production.

So there are my thoughts. I understand and respect that this isn't everyone's experience, but again I wanted to provide some positive feedback since it seems to be few and far between.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My PSN account was hacked 20 mins ago. What to do?

Bought my PS4 10 days ago. I was playing GT Sport 20 mins ago and my game was suddenly interrupted, paused and I got back to PS4 OS introd...