anal-ytics

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 21, 2017

PS4 v4.74 HDD upgrade error CE33310-0 success story

I just tried upgrade my PS4 HDD from the original 500mb to a 2tb drive I recently purchased, and almost immediately, I hit a number of upgrade issues, most importantly I hit CE33310-0, and wanted to give a shout out to /u/TheSnarkAtWinterfell who provided the following reddit post which was the only helpful suggestion out of so many posts acorss Reddit and Playstation forums, which state to blow everything away and start over again:

http://ift.tt/2xUEUfM

There seems to be some gaps in the upgrade process in which most talk about the initial upgrade .PUP file which is needed to get a bare HDD up to a minimum OS version, but still causes the CE33310-0 error and doesn't allow the final restore process to happen. I do not even see this solution in the official /r/PS4 how to for upgrading the hard drive in IMGUR: http://ift.tt/2jMDSfJ

This is my story to approach this to help anyone who hits this in the future.

First off, make sure to completely upgrade the PS4 to the latest firmware available. Backup all trophy and games states to PSN where possible. Backup the apps and system data to a FAT32 or ExFAT usb drive.

Most upgrade posts outline the initial ~800mb .PUP files which is necessary to download to a USB drive, and install this when initializing after the HDD replacement. Turns out that after the initial initialization of this file, There is a second file which also needs to be installed. After the first .PUP is installed and the system initialized, you go through the process to setup the system and get to a basic user. You then need to reboot the system into safe mode (when PS4 is fully off, press power and hold for 7 seconds and hear the second beep), and choose "update system". You will need a LAN cable connected to get the system to download this final file.

What I suspect is that the first .PUP file (~800) is the basic operating system, and the the final upgrade process downloads the ~300 .PUP files which must exactly match the version that the backup was done with. I believe this because when going through the second update system step when in safe mode, it shows the download progress as ~300mb.

When I tried to restore after the first initialization, I got the CE33310-0 error which seems to be impassable. Research shows a lot of people who just gave up, and started from scratch using their PSN saves and redownloading all games over again. You can imagine my feeling when I go to a playstation forum and see the following:

http://ift.tt/2xUEVAm

By using the two-step upgrade process as above, I was fully able to completely restore from backup and all system settings are working as expected.

Just thought I would send this out for the next person who gets this error and see all of the people who gave up, and then has to spends days (weeks) rebuilding their system from scratch. I couldn't imagine how people would feel if they read the other posts and didn't have PSN accounts to backup their data too. Some users reported this to Sony, whose seem to respond with "SOL, start over again!".

/u/TheSnarkAtWinterfell I owe you a beer or two. Thank you so much for taking the time to past your fix for this issue.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My PSN account was hacked 20 mins ago. What to do?

Bought my PS4 10 days ago. I was playing GT Sport 20 mins ago and my game was suddenly interrupted, paused and I got back to PS4 OS introd...