anal-ytics

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Relatively new to PS4, just finished The Last of Us, and now I need something new that will excite me...

After not having played video games for over 10 years, I bought a PS4 Pro and PSVR last fall.

My first game was Batman: Arkham Knight, which I enjoyed a lot despite not having played the others in the Arkham series. I liked comic books a lot growing up, so this was a fun game for me.

Then, I played Uncharted 4 and thoroughly loved it. So I decided to fill in my knowledge gap with Uncharted, Uncharted 2, and Uncharted 3. The first one was okay (it's an old game graphically, and the gunplay got repetitive). 2 and 3 were fantastic. It felt like playing Indiana Jones.

I then put in the most hours I've ever put into any game (since Zelda: Ocarina of Time) into Horizon: Zero Dawn. That was beautiful, very unique, I loved the futuristic/sci-fi elements, the combat was a lot of fun, and I really liked the story--probably my second favorite game to Uncharted 4 at the time. I'm looking forward to The Frozen Wilds.

I like soccer, so I played FIFA 17, and I've bought FIFA 18, which I'm sure will be casual fun to play. I also like Star Wars, so I played Star Wars: Battlefront, which I didn't really enjoy. I'm hopeful that Battlefront II's single-player campaign story keeps me more engaged than just shooting things (though I do like the starfighter dogfights).

And then, everything changed with The Last Of Us. I don't like horror games, and I'm terrified of zombies, but I got myself to play this game anyway. I was absolutely captivated by the story--it's not really a horror game at all. And what a finish! I felt drawn in, attached, and by the end even learned to enjoy the stressful suspense of sneaking through a roomful of infected. This game was on another level for me--even though graphically it didn't feel as cutting edge as 2016/2017's games, it drew me in and had me wanting more. I played Left Behind immediately afterward, and cannot wait for Last of Us: Part II (if that releases in my lifetime).

Right now, I'm playing Uncharted: Lost Legacy, and I like it. But I don't anticipate it being a particularly long play. So, now, I'm searching for my next PS4 adventure to captivate my attention. I have no idea what that game should be. I'd like to find a new game (one from 2017 preferably) that I'll enjoy.

There are a few games I will look to play in 2018 like Spider-Man, Days Gone (if I can take the zombies), and Detroit Become Human look cool. And God of War/Red Dead Redemption look intriguing even though I haven't played any others in the series.

But right now, after Uncharted: Lost Legacy is done, I don't have anything new on the menu, and I'd like a suggestion. These are the 2017 games I've been looking at, but nothing really seems to jump out at me:

  • All the reviews/recommendations I've read highly tout Persona 5, but I haven't played any of the others, I don't really like anime at all, I'm not super jazzed about RPGs, and turn-based combat is a big turn-off. I really want myself to like it, but everything I've watched about the game (I watched a walkthrough of the first 20 minutes) just does not seem fun to me. For lack of a better word, it just looks kind of...childish. What am I missing?
  • I've heard great things about NieR: Automata, particularly about the game's story (a good story seemed appealing). But then I watched some of the gameplay (the first 30 minutes), and it really doesn't excite me. I want characters I care about and that have personality. I also haven't played the first one. Similar to Persona 5, it also looks kind of anime-ish or childish.
  • Yakuza 0 caught my attention, but I haven't played any of the others. I watched the first 20-30 minutes in a walkthrough, and I was kind of meh on it.
  • Nioh doesn't really seem like my cup of tea. Hack-and-slash fighting and combat with evil spirits and such just doesn't seem enjoyable to me.
  • Bloodborne doesn't look fun to me for the same reason as Nioh.
  • Witcher 3 seems like a beautiful game that could interest me, but I don't want to take on another open-world RPG--especially one that seems so massive.

Can someone convince me to bite the bullet and take a chance on any of the six games I've mentioned above? Or, ideally, is there a really good game that I haven't played yet that seems to comport with my interests/likes based on what I have played? I'd really like to be excited about a new game.

TLDR: I just played The Last of Us, and I need a new game (preferably from 2017) to get excited about, but a lot of the ones that have gotten good reviews just don't seem very interesting to me. Help!



No comments:

Post a Comment

My PSN account was hacked 20 mins ago. What to do?

Bought my PS4 10 days ago. I was playing GT Sport 20 mins ago and my game was suddenly interrupted, paused and I got back to PS4 OS introd...