anal-ytics

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 22, 2017

A warning to anyone who is selling their PS4/ other high value items on Ebay

So a little while ago I decided to sell my original PS4 since I had bought the PS4 Pro. I put my 1TB PS4 on Ebay for £200, pick up in person only. The person who bought the item used PayPal to pay for the PS4 (You may see where this is going). The buyer paid for the item and picked up the PS4. A little while later I get a message from PayPal telling me that the payment had been withdrawn and started to panic, with PayPal being seen as a trusted and safe method of payment I have always used on Ebay, I didn't think twice about paypal payment for the item. It was then that I found out about the " pay with PayPal, pick up in person " scam as because there is no proof that the item was shipped to the buyer, the buyer was able to withdraw the money, and steal my PS4. I am mostly angry at Ebay for allowing this scam that has been used for years and is known about to still happen, as many people have had things worth thousands stolen because of this flaw that could easily be fixed. I have looked online about people who have had their PS4s stolen and I have read that Sony is able to trace where the console is using the MAC address of the console as long as they have connected online. This has been given to the police to obtain a warrant to retrieve the stolen console, and people have successfully got their PS4s back by doing this, so I am thinking about trying this.

TLDR: Don't use Paypal for items that the buyer has to collect in person.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My PSN account was hacked 20 mins ago. What to do?

Bought my PS4 10 days ago. I was playing GT Sport 20 mins ago and my game was suddenly interrupted, paused and I got back to PS4 OS introd...