anal-ytics

Search This Blog

Friday, July 7, 2017

Proper "black level" and "RGB Range" settings for PS4 Pro and LG OLED B6 55, specifically for HDR

So I just got a new LG B6 TV and I've seen MANY arguments about which combination of settings is appropriate when it comes to the PS4 Pro's "RGB Range" setting and the TV's "Black Level" setting. The issue becomes even more confusing when it comes to HDR sources, and I'd really appreciate some advice on what to do.

Based on my own experience I have found the following settings to produce the best image quality.

For SDR content:

RGB Range: Full

TV Black level: High

For HDR content:

RGB Range: Full / Limited / Auto (doesn't seem to matter)

TV Black Level: Low

I chose the above for the following reasons:

Many people seem to insist that you have either full / high or limited / low and never a mix of the two. For SDR this seemed to make sense. When going between Limited / Full / Auto the auto setting always defaults to Full and pairing that with High seems to produce the best image, so between that advice and my own findings I went with that for SDR.

HDR content is where it gets weird. As far as I can tell the RGB Range setting does absolutely NOTHING when it comes to HDR content. In SDR when I switch between limited and full the TV clicks off to readjust and there is a very obvious difference in image quality. When displaying in HDR however there is no such adjustment by the TV nor any discernible difference in image quality. I personally leave it on Full for the sake of convenience when switching back to SDR content, but overall it doesn't seem to matter at all.

When it comes to the TV black level setting however there is an ENORMOUS difference in saturation and black levels between the two options. The "high" setting results in very washed out / unsaturated colors and an extremely "grey" black level on things as basic as the black background on the Naughty Dog / Guerrilla Games / SCEA logos while a game is starting up, whereas the Low setting results in far more saturated colors and a nice deep "OLED black".

In short, these are the settings I'm currently using based on a mix advice from others and personal experience but I'd love to get some advice from the community as to whether I'm doing it right.

PS the "color gamut" setting also seems to be a point of contention. Currently forced to "wide" on the SDR game setting, an set to "normal" on the HDR game setting, but any advice would be appreciated.

If anyone has tips on lowering input latency I welcome that as well.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment

My PSN account was hacked 20 mins ago. What to do?

Bought my PS4 10 days ago. I was playing GT Sport 20 mins ago and my game was suddenly interrupted, paused and I got back to PS4 OS introd...