anal-ytics

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 22, 2017

PS4 is using my bandwidth to serve it's games

So I'm downloading the Destiny 2 beta, which is downloading way slower than it should, so I tried running a proxy on my PC, which I just got 22Mbps at speedtest.net. When I connect the PS4 to it, I got a test on the PS4 at about 7 Mbps, which is what it got connecting without the proxy. That sucks and all, but that's not the issue.

I was monitoring my networking with Task Manager, and I noticed that I've got both my download AND upload speed pegged at over that 7Mbps continuously. I don't have anything on the PC actively using that, so I tried turning the proxy off and back on again, and usage on both dropped to near zero.

This leads me to believe that PSN is using my bandwidth to serve what I'm downloading to others downloading it, which eats up my usage from my ISP. That's some BS, this is 11GB, that'll make it 22GB. What if I was using my cell phone plan with 30GB a month, and I just calculated the 11GB I was downloading into it, and now have half that left?

Is that what's happening? Is PSN using us as torrent seeders?

Here's a pic of the activity when I stopped and restarted the proxy.

http://ift.tt/2umG6nM

Better yet, https://youtu.be/HWCENhpo4io



No comments:

Post a Comment

My PSN account was hacked 20 mins ago. What to do?

Bought my PS4 10 days ago. I was playing GT Sport 20 mins ago and my game was suddenly interrupted, paused and I got back to PS4 OS introd...