anal-ytics

Search This Blog

Friday, July 28, 2017

[Question] SATA board died on external HDD. Can I replace my original PS4 HDD with the external one and keep my games?

TL;DR: Can I replace my PS4's original hard drive with one that I was previously using as extended storage without losing the game data previously downloaded onto that external HDD?

So, to give you a full run down:

I have had this Toshiba 1TB external hard drive for quite a few years. The SATA board has shorted now so that the drive will only run on USB 2.0. I am sure because I covered the two prongs responsible for USB 2.0 and the HDD did not react as it had been previously (saw the suggestion on another post).

I know I could go out and buy a SATA to USB 3.0 cable, but I just bought a shiny, new 4TB HDD and really what I want to do is clone my current external onto it. However, given that the SATA is broken, I was wondering if the better option wouldn't be replacing my original 500 GB HDD on the PS4 with the 1TB HDD from the older external drive. My main question is whether or not this would then require me to redownload the games that are already saved on the old HDD. I have backed up my PS4 onto the new external, so I am not worried about the games and data on the PS4's HDD, just the games that have been fully downloaded onto the old external HDD. Yes, I did obtain all of these games legally and I do still have the disk but we all know how download times suck.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My PSN account was hacked 20 mins ago. What to do?

Bought my PS4 10 days ago. I was playing GT Sport 20 mins ago and my game was suddenly interrupted, paused and I got back to PS4 OS introd...